Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Mike Fitzlaff ISF Profile


In the continuing series profiling ISF drivers, this week it is Mike Fitzlaff:
First Car: 
1967 Ford Mustang 6 cyl. 3 speed. It used to belong to Hales and Mile employee (also West Allis Central Auto Shop teacher) Paul Elliot. I bought it from my dad for $200.


Favorite car that you have owned: 
1974 Pontiac Trans Am 400 with a Borg Warner T-10 rock crusher transmission, BFGoodrich Radial TA 50 tires. It was like driving a Slinger Late Model on the street.


Favorite all time race driver and why: 
Its a tie between Alan Kulwicki and Rick Mears. They both were great racers and they worked hard to get to the top. But they both never forgot where they came from and always have had (Alan) and for Rick will take the time to talk with anyone who approaches him. To me they are/were genuine good people
Least favorite race car driver and why: 
I have one but for personal reasons I don't want to name him.

Favorite movie:  "Crash",  favorite comedy, "Office Space" 
 
Favorite movie about cars:
"Gone in 60 Seconds" (original version) 


Favorite book:
Any book writen by James Patterson.


Worst pickup line a woman has used on you:
"I could just eat you up".


Favorite ISF race track:
The 2005-06 version of Rapids International on Bourbon street  


Favorite memory from your time in the SlotIRL?
Winning the final Championship for that series.   

 
You worked with Alan Kulwicki. What would be one thing that people would be suprised to know about him? 
At the shop we were using on south 13th street he would do this strange dance (we named it the "wervul") everytime the song "Hey Baby I'm the Telephone Man" came on the radio. I don't remember who sang it. That was his alias Alan Kultinski dancing.
(EDITORS NOTE: I HAVE THIS SONG ON CD AND IT GOES LIKE THIS:)
Telephone Man
Meri Wilson
(Wilson)

-Peaked at #18 in 1977 and was her only hit
-Sold over a million copies
-A "novelty" song
-Produced by Boomer Castleman and Jim Rutledge of "Bloodrock"

I went to my apartment on a Monday at one
A-singin' do lolly, lolly shicky bum, shicky bum
Started movin' in it on a Tuesday at two
A-singin' do lolly, lolly shicky do, shicky do
Wednesday at three I called the phone company, singin':
"Hey baby, put a phone in for me"
Thursday at four he came a-knockin' at my door, singin':

"Hey, baby, I'm your telephone man
You just show me where you want it and I'll put it where I can
I can put it in the bedroom, I can put it in the hall
I can put it in the bathroom, I can hang it on the wall
You can have it with a buzz, you can have it with a ring
And if you really want it you can have a ding-a-ling
Because-a hey baby, I'm your telephone man"

Can you believe that? And then he says:
"Now when other fellas call ya tell 'em how it all began"
Well...can you imagine?
My heart began a-thumpin' and my mind began to fly
And I knew I wasn't dealin' with no ordinary guy
So while he was a-talking I was thinkin' up my plan
Then my fingers did the walkin' on the telephone man

Singin' hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Get it any way you can
Right? Ha ha ha, so...

I got it in the bedroom, and I got it in the hall
And I got it in the bathroom, and he hung it on the wall
I got it with a buzz, and I got it with a ring
And when he told me what my number was I got a ding-a-ling

A-singin' hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Hey lolly, lolly
Just-a doin' my thing

Ha, ha...I've never done anything like this before!

Favorite ISF, ARA, or HOCC driver to compete against? 
Hands down...John Shea. He will race race you tough but clean. 


You can only eat one food for the rest of your life, what is it?
Steaks on the grill.


What profession, besides your current one and race car driver, would you like to try? Radiologist. I think it is a very interesting profession.


Favorite drink? 
Water,nice and cold.  Otherwise a Hard Mike's Cranberry. 

Favorite TV show:
"24" I have never missed an episode since the begining. 

First “real job” was:
Dishwasher at the "Coach Light Inn" back in 1973 or 74. It is now known as "The Milwaukee Grill" on 76 th and Forest Home. 


Besides racing, what is your favorite sport to watch? 
Football (college and pro) 


Queen Amadala or Princess Leia?
Who's Amadala? Unless she is smokin' hot I would have to say Princess Leia.
Favorite memory from your time at Hales Corners Speedway?
Getting to stand in the pit chute with 24 screaming Late Models inches away, and with a wave of my hand they were off to do battle, especially during the SummerNationals shows. That would be the best job I ever had also!


Thanks Mike!
Until next time...it's not bad being in the pits!
 Steve "The Wrench" Ratchett