Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The Curious Case of Ev Kamikawa & ATGL



So  I’m siting on a bar stool talkin' like a dang fool watching my favorite news crew at my favorite watering hole. On the other TV is a rerun of the 2006 H.O. Indy 500 when the door opens and in comes the winner of that race…Ev Kamikawa.
As he strode towards me, the bartender slid a frosted mug of ale on the bar top towards him which was intended for another customer. With one quick swipe Kamikawa grabbed the mug and threw it back towards me underhanded and holding onto the handle so just the ale leaves the glass. It hits me square in the face and the following conversation takes place:

Steve Ratchett: I’d ask what that was for but I think I know.

EK: I’m not in your top 10 Indyslotcar drivers of all time! I give you some insight into drivers you never saw (authors note: I didn’t start covering Indyslotcar until 2006) and help you spell names right and I don’t get into the top 10?!

SR: If it is any consolation I have you in my top 25. I’d say somewhere around 15 maybe as high as 12.

EK: As high as 12! Geeze...at least that is my second favorite number. You’ve got to be kidding me!

SR: Maybe 12. Don’t forget you’ve got hall of fame member Dave Austin and a couple of other champions in front of you. Phil Marich and Chris Spehert have two wins at Indy too so you have to figure those in there somewhere. Definitely top 25 for you.

EK: You’re just trying to get my goat again.

SR: No. Just trying to get you to buy me a drink for splashing beer in my face. Have your goat chew on these stats: Both of your championships and 60% of your wins and 75% of your poles were in  the Own Car (OC) era. Yes you’ve won three of your four Indy 500 wins in the Club Car (CC) era, and you’ve won some races, but you haven’t been dominant. No one is scared to race you anymore. You are just a veteran who gets contracts because of your past and you bring sponsorship too. If that ever ends you’ll be out of a ride. Until then you’re just padding stats.

EK: What about two seasons ago when I would’ve won the championship if it wasn’t for the death card at the last race?

SR: If IFS were fifths I’d be drunk now. Yes you ran a points race that year that kept you in the hunt but you didn’t dominate. It seems you can’t win a championship unless John Shea is your teammate and you’re driving Ferraris which will never be allowed by Indyslotcar again.

EK: Just to point out Mike Lack has won all his titles with John Wiedemann as his teammate and you didn’t hold that against him.

SR: Touche. Point for you on that one. You’re just a veteran padding his stats till retirement.

EK: Your opinion. You’ll see as I take more wins, including another Indy 500. I’ll have the last word. Don't come crying to me when you need quotes or information for a story any more. League history will be my judge, not you!
(Author’s note: he turns and starts walking away. I shout at him…)

SR: I’m a writer. I’ll always have the last word.
I guess I won’t be hanging out in his team pit area any time soon!
 For the record I've included Ev Kamikawa's stats and those on my all time greatest list.
You can decide for yourself if he belongs on my list and if so where.
Until Then…It’s Good to be In the Pits!
Steve "The Wrench" Ratchett

Ev Kamikawa
40 wins, 38 poles, 96 heat wins, 286 starts
winning percentage 14%
heat winning percentage 34%
4 Indy 500 wins


10. Matt Hayek
10 wins, 11 poles, 26 heat wins, 137 starts, 2 Indy 500 wins
winning percentage 7%
heat winning percentage 19%
2 Indy 500 wins

Chad Sorce
9 wins, 6 poles, 15 heat wins, 86 starts
winning percentage 10%
heat winning percentage 17%

9. Mike Fitzlaff
12 wins, 12 poles, 61 heat wins, 179 starts
1 Indy 500 win
winning percentage 7%
heat winning percentage 34%

8. John Wiedemann
19 wins, 15 poles, 46 heat wins, 143 starts
winning percentage 13%
heat winning percentage 32%

7. Jim Kaehny
23 wins, 26 poles, 53 heat wins, 156 starts
winning percentage 15%
heat winning percentage 34%

6. Dan Margetta
42 wins
45 poles
120 heat wins
320 starts
winning percentage 13%
heat winning percentage 38%

5. John Shea
15 wins, 11 poles, 36 heat wins, 99 starts
1 Indy 500 win
winning percentage 15%
heat winning percentage 36%

4. Phil Cianciola
36 wins, 48 poles, 79 heat wins, 173 starts
5 championships
2 Indy 500 wins
winning percentage 21%
heat winning percentage 46%

3. Jim Iverson
17 wins, 11 poles, 60 heat wins, 111 starts
2 championships
1 Indy 500 win
winning percentage 15%
heat winning percentage 54%

2. Larry Rotter
26 wins, 26 poles, 70 heat wins, 203 starts
3 championships
1 Indy 500 win
winning percentage 13%
heat winning percentage 34%

1. Mike Lack
27 wins, 25 poles, 69 heat wins, 135 starts
winning percentage  20%
heat winning percentage 51%